My makeup routine has alway been pretty minimal. I wasn't even wearing mascara until college. It wasn't that I didn't want to or had anything against it, I just didn't feel like it was necessary. I was also convinced that I'd poke my eye out or something. As the years have gone by, I've gotten a little braver in my makeup selections but not by much. That's why I was so excited to get my face all done up by a Bobbi Brown makeup artist!
A couple weekends ago, I went with my mom and sisters to our favorite makeup store Blue Mercury. They will occasionally have fun *free* events going on during the weekends. We stopped by because they had Bobbi Brown makeup artists giving tips for fall and personal consultation. The staff there is super friendly and they did their best to make you feel comfortable. They offered us water and mimosa's. I pretty much made my mom take a mimosa "for me". I mean if I couldn't have one, someone had to!
My sisters were up first and then when they were done my mom and I hopped up on the chairs.
As I chatted with the makeup artist, these are the tips she gave for fall 2014.
1) Check your foundation! Especially as you come out of summer you need to make sure you have the right shade. As your natural summer glow begins to fade, you need to check and see if your foundation is a little too dark for your face. I hadn't had my foundation checked since college when I'd stopped swimming. Turns out I was wearing two shades darker than I should be. No wonder I was so paranoid about having that "line" around my face...because I actually had one!
2) Blush and bronzer is not an "either or" situation. For this fall you want a warm cheek. So before applying your blush, lay down a little bit of bronzer, and then add your blush. Depending on your shade of pink, you may want to use a blending brush to get the two combined. I tried adding another tiny bit of bronzer on top of the blush and I was really happy with the result.
3) If you have crazy long eyelashes, curling them before applying mascara will help them from pointing in all directions. Now, I don't have this problem but my sister Gabi has three layers of long lashes. She has stayed away from mascara because it always made them clump and point in weird directions. Now she curls them and the difference is amazing!
4) While the smoky eye is still in style, for this fall, a more subtle smokey is appropriate. My makeup artist pulled three eyeshadow colors, a light light pink, a dark (cognac) brown, and a champagne. She covered my entire lid with the super light pink, then used the dark drown on my crease, and finished up with the champagne color at the top. She said that this color combo is doable for everyday wear. Sometimes the smoky eye can be a little intimidating and intense. So for something a little softer but still with the warmth of fall, this is the way to go.
5) Finally, my favorite part...Lips! For this fall, she explained that a warm pink is the color. Last fall we saw a lot of red. This fall it will be cozy boots, soft scarves and a warm pink ( i.e. Tea Rose). Or if you live in Arizona... it will be flip flops, tee shirts, and a warm pink.
These are just "tips". The fun thing with makeup is that there are really are no rules (like with fashion IMO). Wear what makes you feel good!
The final product and of course some baby bump pics.
Hope you find these tips and tricks helpful!