Waiting in the doctors office can be a pain. The magazines are old, the room smells funny, and the elevator music is most certainly from one of Dante's Circles of Hell. However, for some reason all of that doesn't matter to me when I'm pregnant. I love my prenatal appointments. It's a little bit of "me" time that I don't get very often. I do my best to make the most of my time and just focus on myself and the little baby in my womb. So for those prego mamas that find your appointments to be a drag, here are some tips that will hopefully help make the time a little more enjoyable.
1. Leave early! I always try to drop the boys off with my mom about 10 minutes ahead of schedule so that I have time to stop for coffee or tea. At my first prenatal appointment (this time around) the lady handed me my pee cup right next to my iced coffee. A funny moment that made me laugh inside. Oh, pregnant life! It's really nice to have a little something to sip on while driving in the car and waiting for my name to be called. I hardly ever stop for coffee or tea with the boys (too much effort) so this is a special something I always look forward to. I also hate being late but as a mom it is sometimes unavoidable. If I have some motivation to leave early then I never stress about being late!
2. Take that baby bump selfie! If selfies offend you then skip over this one.... I love documenting a growing belly. I like to snap a picture of my bump in the bathroom while I'm waiting for my pee test. How else am I supposed to pass those 60 seconds? Anyway... When I have appointments that means I actually get to leave the house so I plan out an outfit. That also needs documentation.
3. Bring something to pass the time! I know most of us have our cell phones to keep us busy and that's fine. However, when I go to the doctor's I bring my current book and at least two notebooks. I swear I get more reading/list-making/blog-planning done in my 30-minute wait than I do all day at home.
4. Treat yourself! After your appointment...celebrate! Last month after I finished my appointment, I grabbed some lunch for my husband and I. I brought it to his office and we had a little date! Thankfully his work isn't too far from the doctor's office. Obviously since my weight gain is right on track, I had to blow it on some deliciousness.
5. Wear comfy clothes! Kinda piggybacking off of number two.... Wear something you feel good in, wear your favorite shoes, or add some color to your lips. I chose to wear some peach leggings and an XL top (that I actually think is a dress?) from Forever 21. My baby bump had room to breath and I felt like myself. Add some red lips and boom! Done.
I hope these tips help you like they help me! Moms always need a little alone time and it's important to get it whenever/wherever we can. For all you pregnant mommies out there...what are your tips and tricks for making prenatal visits more enjoyable?