So I am well into my third trimester. The end is near and I am so excited to meet our little girl. I'm sure I'm sounding like a broken record but it's true. The days go by slow but then I blink and I'm one week closer to my due date. While I'm doing my best to make it through the final days with a smile on my face (candy and a heating pack for my back helps), I still wanted to share my favorite things from my 2nd trimester.
The 2nd trimester is often referred to as the "honeymoon" trimester. Most of the time all the awful things about first trimester finally subside. Your energy is back and you no longer want to vomit at every possible time of day. However, there are certain things that helped my second trimester go a little more smoothly.
1) When I'm pregnant my hair goes really flat. When I was in high school it took me hours to straighten my hair because it was so thick and curly. Not so much while I'm making a baby. It's weirdly flat and instead of curls it has these awkward waves. Not like pretty beach waves but like bed head waves. So to help my limp head of hairs I've been using some extra strength mousse and hair spray. I noticed a huge difference once I started using these products. The stuff from Herbal Essence is pretty reasonably priced and gets the job done.
2) I realize that it might just be mental but I love my amber necklace. I've been wearing it more and more, especially on "bad days". I feel that it helps with the body aches and the sore feet.
3) Old habits die hard. When I was swimming I constantly had a playlist going to get me pumped for practice or for swim meets. Labor makes me nervous. Even though I've gone through it a couple times already I still get a little anxious thinking about it. So in the 2nd trimester I make my pump up list. Basically I listen to my playlist and visualize myself (making it to the hospital) and totally owning child birth in the face. I HIGHLY recommend this. It helps so much. The power of visualization is unreal. If it worked while I was swimming, it can totally work for labor and delivery.
4) Even though I'm feeling better in my 2nd trimester, that's usually when the nightly leg cramps begin. If I stretch out just a tiny bit the wrong way, I get the worse leg cramps ever. Andrew wakes up convinced I'm dying because I'm hyperventilating and hopping around the room making sounds that are similar to that of a sick cow (I can only assume). Getting in some extra potassium helps. Banana's with peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks. Plus, it helps keep the cramps in check.
5) I've said it once and and I'll say it again, pregnancy brain is a real thing. Like just a few weeks ago I scheduled my best friends engagement party on the same day as the wedding of another good friend. And I didn't realize it until THE DAY BEFORE. It was a stressful afternoon/evening to say the least. Writing everything down helps a ton. Multiple calendars, several to-do lists, and sticky note reminders are a must. It gives me a fighting chance at not losing my entire mind. These cute pads are from Rifle Paper Co.
6) After dinner I usually want to stuff my face with ice cream and potato chips. It's a battle almost every night. In my effort to keep my weight in check this pregnancy I'm trying to do better with my "snacks". I really love the little single servings of popcorn. Especially when it's kettle corn. Salty AND Sweet!
7) With pregnancy comes some changes in my complexion. I found something that really helps smooth it out and hides my brown spots. L'Oreal's Miracle Blur is pretty amazing. Put it on after your moisturizer and be on your way or continue to apply your makeup. My expectations were pretty low when I decided to give this stuff a try but I was pleasantly surprised.
So that's my go-to list of things during my 2nd trimester. What are some things you've found to helpful?