I'd like to state for the record that my nursing appetite is wayyyy more intense than my pregnancy appetite. It feels like I'm eating all day. Probably because I am. The worst part is that it's so hard to sit down and actually eat a meal. Almost every meal feels like a dine and dash. Most of the time I'm just shoving food in my mouth as I stand at the counter.
Lately I've been craving salty snacks. So you can imagine how thrilled I was when my mother in-law brought us over fresh tomatoes and jalapeños! Can you chips and salsa? I picked up a few other things I needed for the salsa and then it was go time. I've basically eaten chips and salsa for lunch the last few days (at the counter of course while Peter and James pull on my legs and whatnot). No complaints here. Here is the recipe for my homemade restaurant-esque salsa. This recipe makes enough to fill up two medium mason jars.
~3 large tomatoes
~1 bunch of cilantro
~2 cloves of garlic
1) Chop up your tomatoes, slice the jalapeño, mince your garlic cloves, and chop your cilantro. This is literally the hardest part and it's not even that hard. I love using lots of fresh garlic in this recipe because of all the awesome health benefits. So feel free to add more if you feel that cold or flu coming on. But don't expect anyone to be your friend for the next few days.
2) Put all of your veggies ^^ into a blender or food processor. I used my blender because my food processor is just a pain in the butt to take out, use and clean. If it isn't quick and/or easy, I'm not that interested. Blend the veggies together for about 20 seconds or so.
3) Then squeeze the juice of your lime into the blended mixture.
4) Add 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1 tsp of celery salt. Then add 1/2 a tsp of cumin. I'm not a huge fan of cumin but if you are feel free to add a full tsp.
5) Then continue to blend for another 30 seconds or so. Basically the salsa is done once you have the consistency you want.
Boom. Chips and salsa.
Now all you have to do is add a cold beer and you're set.